27 June 2011

Wait... What? (Alana)

Do you ever find that you've been driving for a while, only to realize you were lost in thought, and don't really know what happened in those past few moments?  

Happens fast.

Little Children of the Philippines

My dear husband... mature like the
preschool students I'm about to introduce
you to :-)
Mangnao PreSchool
I've recently been working with Margie, the coordinator of the preschool programs.  LCP offers preschool education in 7 different communities.  My work began when helping prepare training for the teachers.  This is comical- I have no preschool training.  So... go with what you've got... Jacques and I held a morning session on "The Brain" and "Love and Logic" classroom strategies.  Not sure how it all translates, and I wanted to hug the first teacher I heard offer a choice in her classroom.  Maybe they did understand! 


Bloomington Students

Bloomington Homes
 After Mangnao, above, we visited Bloomington PreSchool.  Bloomington is a really cool neighborhood built by LCP.  They've built a community of homes which members of LCP can live in at a low cost.  Their children are sponsored to attend school, and families must participate in LCP activities (Church and Bible Study).  They also have a garden and raise pigs for livelihood projects.  The whole idea is to assist youth with their education.  Livelihood projects and low cost housing help families survive financially, without forcing their children to the streets to beg for money.


Outside Canday-ong PreSchool
We also visited two preschools that might be considered more "inner city" type schools.  During our training, one of the teachers told me about the challenges they face- space due to small buildings in a very congested area, attendance (convincing parents it's more powerful to have their child in the classroom than on the street), and the distraction of police chases and gunfire.  Regardless of location, though, the 
preschools offer some Dumaguete youth their first exposure to education.  






We call adorable children at home: peanuts.  In the Philippines: Filipeanuts.




Road to Timbao
Cabbage grows well in the mountains
Next up... Timbao.  This is a small 
community in the mountains.  The drive alone was an adventure.  Many miles, headed uphill, on dirt roads.  Aside of the moist, green landscape and palm trees in the horizon, I felt like I was traversing a  Colorado mountain pass. Family: like Ophir Pass :-) 
Timbao PreSchool Class











Timbao Classroom
These classrooms make me think of the "One Room School House" stories from NPR. 
The rooms are simple, with small, no tiny, wooden chairs with arm rests for writing, a chalk board, and a sparse variety of books.  



MayDay!  I have no training or experience working with preschoolers... if you have great games, learning tools, suggestions, ideas, curriculum, or moral support- they're all welcome here.








Marvin- 8 years old
Rommel- 10 years old
In the meantime, I've also been tutoring two new youth in the young boys' home.  They've been with LCP for almost a month.  Brothers, found on the streets in a mountain community, they spent much of their time roaming and begging for money.  Another eye opening experience... when I first began working with Marvin and Rommel, they didn't know numbers or letters.  They couldn't identify pictures on a page (seemingly unable to comprehend that the picture represented a real-life object), nor speak a word of English.  In my best description, I came home to tell Jacques "I met two boys that almost literally seem to know 'nothing'."  I was dumbfounded and reacted like any other lost American daughter... "Mom, help!  Please send some materials I can use with these two boys!"  And of course the response, "your box should be there next week."



Carmenia, my supervisor- the queen of
humor.  She said when we ran out
of forks, "I'll just eat with my hands,
I washed them four days ago."


Over there to the left is my supervisor, Carmenia.  She's the Director of LCP.  I really admire her.  A product of LCP herself, she works long hours committed to the lives of youth in Dumaguete.  Pretty honorable considering so many of the well-educated folks in the Philippines opt to live abroad to make more money.
Celebrations... even, no especially, youth living away from the traditional comfort of 'family' need to celebrate.  Saturday evening began with special performances from each of the shelters (young boys, older boys, and girls shelters) in honor of Glenna Waller, the U.S. President of LCP currently visiting from Georgia (she has such a strong accent Jacques offered to translate for those not understanding...)


The evening continued with birthday celebrations for those with 
birthdays in June, July, and August.  The youth received a special meal (spaghetti and, of course, rice) along with cake and ice cream.  



Choclolate, Cheese,
and Ube Ice Cream!


Carmely and BheBhe
And finally, Jacques and I got to celebrate with two youth from LCP.  Today was BheBhe's birthday (pronounced BeeBee).  She turned 19.  She's lived at LCP since she was 7 years old.  Her mother lives on a nearby island, and BheBhe sees her once a year for a couple of days.  She graduated high school in March, and will work at LCP for a year before she enters college.  She's very talented- sings and plays the guitar for LCP's worship team.  She reminds me of several young women I've gotten to know, and admire, through counseling at Preston.  Much like them, she's learned to rise above her difficult circumstances and write her own story.  
 As for me personally, my back is strong and getting closer to flexible again.  
I actually enjoy pedicab and jeepney rides now... the only thing better... passing them while riding my new bike.  No drifting off in thought while riding though- gotta watch out for potholes, crazy motorbike drivers, and free roaming cows.

No comments:

Post a Comment